Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



ski school, part 1: boys boys boys and, oh yeah, learning to snow plow 01.07.88

Well, hiya! Today wuz my first day of ski school.

I LOVE SKIING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's such a blast! It's kind of like flying. Well, mostly I just fell down a lot but I love it sooooooooooo much. I've already met tons of new people! Mostly through classes and the ski bus, but I'll make it a point to meet more. There are so MANY gorgeous guys up there. Problem is, I'm always looking my worst - FLAT hair, STREAKED make-up and these stupid puffy ski suits make me look like a cow! But I can't wait to go again!

I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Not so much from the work out but from falling down. I totally just took a long bubble bath and listened to my mix tape (I love I'll Be There for You by Bon Jovi! I put it on the mix three times in row. I totally learned the harmony!). Now I'm so pruny and relaxed and chilled out. I love it!

Toward the end of the day, I was proud of myself because I had figured out how to snow plow down the bunny hill. The tricky part was getting on and off the ski lift. You have to figure out how to get in place before the seat like wipes your feet out from under you, and I'm still really slow. You wait in line, and when it's your turn, they're like "GO!" and you have to get into place FAST.

If this tells you anything, the first thing we learned in class was how to fall down. Because, you fall down A LOT.

Then, at the top of the lift, you have to hop off right away and ski out of the way. None of this is very easy if all you know how to do is snow plow. Snow plowing is putting your skis in a triangle in front of you, putting the tips together but NOT crossing them, and then you sort of bend at the knees, then plant your pole, and turn in a triangle around the pole.

I'm so clutsy! It is all worth it, though, once you start moving! Anyway, I came down the hill and I was trying to stop and get in line at the same time. I heard this little kid saying to his dad, "Does it hurt when you fall down?" And right then, I totally crossed my skis in front of each other and completely wiped out and kind of fell on my face. So this kid's dad goes, "It hurts when you do that." And he could barely say it because he was laughing. Jerk-face. But then he helped me up and introduced himself, and grabbed my poles which I think flew over my head when I fell.

It is absolutely impossible to act cool after you snow plow yourself into a lump on the ground. Skiing = no dignity whatsoever. Bad hair + lots of falling, +fluffy diaper butt = huge dork. You tell me (whoever you are) why it's so much fun. I have NO idea. But it is totally RAD. My kids are going to learn to ski when they are little. Because then you get the dork part out of the way before it matters.

On the way home, I became friends with a guy, JS. He's a real sweetheart! I also became friends with another guy, AR. But mostly I talked with JS cuz he sat closer to me. He played with my hair until I almost fell asleep. Not to be conceited, but I think he might like me. JS and AR seemed to compete for my attention. Nothing worth getting a big head about, though. It's not like there are a whole bunch of girls on the ski bus.

Anyway, on the way home it was me and JS, like totally - with AR becoming a little more forward. It wuz funny because JS wuz sitting behind me and AR wuz sitting across from me and some other guy wuz sitting next to me. So I wuz turned sideways to talk with them and JS kept playing with my hair so AR asked to switch seats with JS and JS totally said no. It wuz funny and a little weird. I'm not used to guys paying attention to me. But he kind of laid down on my arm, and one time he kind of like rubbed my back and when he stretched out his leg he kind of rubbed mine with his foot. Now, you tell me! Is that what a guy does when he likes you? I can't be sure, but it was nice, anyways.

We talked about EVERYTHING. School, skiing, ourselves, jokes, parties, other people. It wuz so fun! 3 hours went way tooooo fast. It seemed like 30 minutes! Of course, it turns out he goes to NTHS, so put that in the column of reasons not to transfer. (I can't believe I'm saying this! Great drama and english departments plus NO MORE FF POPPY versus stupid boy who played with my hair. I'm so DUMB sometimes!) But, I really like JS a lot, at least as a friend anyways. Well, gotta scoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment