Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



a note from Doug - 11.14.88

Today was sooooooo funny. Doug was joking around in seminary and gave me this note, asking me to be his girlfriend but like when we were in gradeschool, with the yes and no boxes. I could not stop laughing. Earlier, I might have cried (at home, of course) because he was just teasing, but now it's like, really funny.

I kept bugging him to write me a note and this is what I got. Santa vaca! (That's spanish for holy cow. I'm taking Spanish next year. Doug takes Spanish and he says it is RAD). The note I wrote back looked something like this:

HILARIOUS. Then I wrote him about 3 really long notes, just to make him feel bad for writing me such a short note, the geek.

Roger is still mad at me because I called him a geek. I was calling everybody a geek. He's so sensitive.

I told Doug that I don't like Matt anymore. I mean, how can I? I only see him at football games.

I wonder if Doug was serious about his idea for the note but didn't know how I'd react so he made a joke. There I go, being conceited again. One more week until I fly down to see my brother!

This all brings to mind something that I need to remind myself. I don't ever want to be stuck-up. In seventh grade, all the girls were so stuck-up.

Once, I said to Sandy that I was going to a party. She said, "Oh and what are you going to do there? Eat cake and ice cream?" Like that was totally nerdy and stupid. As it happens, yes, it was going to be a cake and ice cream party but I felt stupid all the same.

And then, Sandy and Libby went to the Bon Jovi concert and when I asked what it was like and said I wanted to go, they were all like, "Don't you just listen to John Denver all day?" I listen to KUBE just like everyone else!

Maybe I shouldn't call anyone a geek, even if I'm kidding. Because I don't want to be stuck up. I need to remember that I'm not anything special. I don't want to make people feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment