Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



get ready for it: angsty poem #1 of 487...

I wrote this poem last night when I was so depressed... Being miserable is great for writing lyrics!

Heartache
I wanted to play a sad song
But it was too painful to hear the words.
I wanted to reach out to someone
Who has known this confusion and hurt.
Who can till me your story, baby?
Who will tell me a lie?
And what will bury this heartache
Just so I can get by?
So many flat words in a notebook
So many tired goodbyes
Too much fear and loss
And the deadness in your eyes
I guess now I'm singing a sad song, baby.
Yeah and I'm writing it all for you.
Even though I'm kissing someone else
Who happens to feel what I do.
It passes the time, and who knows? Only you can say
That despite all the pain we can be together again,
Someday.

2 comments:

  1. When was this poem written? Do we need to include dates for our submissions to your contest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem was written in 1989. You don't have to include dates for your submissions. A big haired 80s pic would be nice, though... ;)

    ReplyDelete