Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



introducing... GRACE 02.16.89

Today, I earned a nickname. I have always wanted a nickname, and my name doesn't really lend itself to pet names, but pet names are proof that someone likes you or at least has thought enough about you to give you a name other than your own and I have always thought it would be cool to have someone call me something other than my boring name.

But, now I have one and I have to say it is a not so gentle reminder of one of my more humiliating personality traits, which is totally mass clutsiness.

I might mention that the steps at school leading to my 4th period class are a very odd width - very wide steps but not super high so you just feel the need to take them fast to make up for the waste of space. I should also mention that my skirts are generally short-ish and on the tighter side. My favorite flats are rather slippery, also. And, it's been freezing and raining... so lots of ice patches on these stupid wide steps.

Somehow, less than one month after transfering to a new school where I am supposed to no longer be the FF Poppy and I am supposed to become the absolutely coolest version of myself possible, I have fallen down no less than three times. Usually in the same place.

The first time, no one saw. The second time, K. saw and helped me up. The third time, Mr. Football Jock saw and now he thinks it is funny to call me Grace.

He also asked me out, so I'm sure he didn't see my butt, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment