Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



boondoggle mama (saturday) 02.25.89

1989: This year will go down in history as a year of major discovery: I actually CAN get my butt out of bed as early as 4:30am, though you wouldn't know it from my sorry seminary attendance.

It is all about the end destination. Is it seminary or is it, could it be...SKIING???!

As it turns out, it's not the road travelled that makes all the difference, but whether the destination is a mountain with a fresh dusting of snow (and really cute guys)!

Liam and Mac saved me a seat on the ski bus this morning. They are so sweet. We all sang Helter Skelter, so no red light district songs. I gave Mac a foot massage so he carried my skiis up the mountain for me.

Then Liam and Mac invited me to ski with them. I started doing awesome! I'm totally paralelling now. Except on Boondoggle. It's a solid cliff of moguls.

I fell down so much that I finally just took off my skiis and tossed them to Mac, who was waiting at the bottom of the run. I just slid down on my butt. So I earned a new nickname. (WHY do my nicknames all have to do with falling down?)

Mac and Liam call me "Boondoggle Mama." Cuz I totally SPANKED that run. uh huh.

I can't figure Mac out. I like to be around him and Liam. They're funny and gross and sweet and totally good looking. Mac laid in my lap on the ski lifts and pushed in my nose and said it is squishy. On the bus ride home, he asked me for a back rub, so I gave him one. No big deal. (He has a really nice back).

I was wearing my sunglasses and totally acted like I was asleep before and after I rubbed his back. But he kept looking at me. I just don't understand.

I swear I could read stuff in his eyes like he WANTED to kiss me but WHY? He totally has a girlfriend and she's really pretty. He said he wants to break up with her, cuz they keep fighting.

Besides, I look terrible when I ski and I'm a total spazz! Maybe I'm reading him wrong or maybe I'm being stuck-up. It's just so WEIRD.

It occurs to me that it would be really cool if he was my first real kiss. It's not like it would count because I'm not in love, but it would be better practice than the back of my hand! Then again, I think Mac has probably kissed a lot of girls (and other stuff, too!) and I would probably make a total idiot of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment