Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



heartbreak overload! 02.13.89

It's the final countdown. Tomorrow, Matt asks Emily and they'll be a couple, officially. On Valentine's Day. UGH GUH!

I'm realizing I made myself like Matt for more than just a summer crush because I wanted to get over Ben but the problem is now I really do like Matt and I think maybe he might have liked me too but he just got over it fast and I'm sure Emily doesn't like him nearly as much as I do. ARRRGH!

If I made myself like him I can make myself not like him and then tomorrow won't be nearly as annoying.

OF COURSE Ben is now all best buds with Phoebe. Ugh. Guh.

So what will I do when Emily comes up to me and goes, "Guess what? He asked me!"

I'll go, "That's awesome! How great! Super!" and I'll smile and laugh and be fake. Because that's what I'm good at: faking. That's what I am. Fake fake fake.

So we don't have cable. I don't tell anyone. It's embarrassing. Anyway, the first time I watched Mtv we were visiting my grandparents (!!).

Yup. My grandparents are cooler than I am.

Anyway, you never forget your first video. John Waite: "STOP THIS heart break over loooooad"!

Officially, I am not in like with Matt anymore. I do, however, massively love John Waite. He gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment