Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



some musings about ben, 20 years later...

One of my dear friends from back in the day (yes, the 80s) emailed me yesterday after reading this blog. She asked, "What WAS the DEAL with 'Ben'? I mean, he's a great guy, but why did every girl we knew like him?"

My friends, I was not the only one with ILWB disease. It was extraordinarily contagious. Ben would laugh if he read this, because he is not at all egotistical. Maybe that is/was part of his charm.

The brothers of Greenlawn street shared some things that made the girls completely, loyally, totally, mass, devotedly in love (for more than a week at a time, which is saying something).

So, listen up all you teenage boys who read this blog! (That demographic came to a grand total of 1 at the last count: my nephew). If you want the ladies to swoon, take a few notes from the Brothers Greenlawn:

*confident but not arrogant
*sweet but not insipid
*hilarious but not pompous
*sarcastic without being cruel
*good looking without being overly annoying about it
*smart but not geeky
*righteous without being self-righteous
*kind without being fake

Ultimately, tho, after giving this more thought, I would have to say that Charles and Ben were remarkable because they were, both of them, pretty sure of themselves and mostly happy. And that is incredibly unusual for ANYONE between the ages of, say, 12 and 18 (or 81?).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Charles would have to be pretty confident to pull of that amazing Cosby sweater he's got on in that picture over on the right. And check him out- he's like serenely picking his nose- just totally transcending the nose pick. He's like, 'Go ahead. Take a picture of me picking my nose. I'm comfortable with who I am. Do you like my sweater? It's OK if you don't, because I'm confident but not arrogant'

    ReplyDelete