Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



And the award for BEST *supporting* actress (in a nansecond role) goes to...

DRAMA!!! It is the new love of my life. I tried out for the school play and I MADE IT! I'm still thinking I should use my screen name for the play.

THS is really well known for its drama department. They did Grease last year and it was a HUGE hit. So, who knows? Maybe a Hollywood agent will stop by and say, "Who WAS that girl who played Billy's mom?!"

And I'll say, "Mikare Night!!" If I get famous, I don't want people to go, oh yeah, now she's Mikare Night but she used to be that Smith girl. LAMERS.

The guys in drama are really cute and really weird! One of them knows all the Billy Joel songs and plays them on the piano before we warm up. He and these other guys have all these inside jokes, saying "Boot to the head! Boot to the head!" and "I crush your head!" while pinching together their fingers.

They're seniors, so I can't tell if I don't get them because they're so much older or if it's a drama thing.

I guess I should mention that my part is kind of small. I'm somebody's mother. But it is a speaking part! Of course it is only one line. And I'm not sure how they are going to use my screen name on the program because I don't even have a character name. In the script, I'm just "Billy's mom."

If I want bigger parts, I really should work on dropping another thirty pounds and maybe get some voice lessons.

At least, that's what M. says. Oh, and me and M. are best friends now. She's an actress, too. She's done theater FOREVER. Of course, Anna is my best best friend but she isn't here right now AND she's younger than me.

Last night I spent the night at M.'s and guess what? She's in love MASS with Ben. Of all people! I'm so glad I'm OVER him. I really am.

3 comments:

  1. did you have the poetry contest and then flake out on the winners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea,
    Here is the site!!
    http://www.thepicturewallcompany.com/
    I stole your picture book too!! Ava was playing with it, so I hid it behind me and then forgot I put it there!! (425)444-4314 Or just come by!
    -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear ANONYMOUS! I am so LAME. I haven't been on this site in over a month. I need to send the awards to the WINNERS. SO, ANGST WINNERS please please email me at 80sangst@gmail.com with your addresses.

    ReplyDelete