Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



R.I.P R.P - and Chicago's on the stereo... 4.1989

Rob hasn't called me in a week. So I guess that's over. "She Drives Me Crazy" (Fine Young Cannibals) is my song for him, only I changed the "she" to "he." Oh well. R.I.P. Rob Parks.

I haven't talked to him or M. for forever, but Charles called, as usual, telling me Rob isn't good for me. Sometimes he really bugs me.

Kir and Kri and I all went to the mall today and I wished for the 400 millionth time that I was rich.

I'm feeling kind of depressed. Chicago is playing now, "You're not alone." But, I AM alone. At least, I want to be half the time. I don't want to worry or love anyone or have any responsibility. I just want to dream and sleep forever.

I watched Pretty in Pink tonight. It never fails. I cry every time, when he comes to the prom without a date. And when Duckie says he's not going to drive by on his bicycle anymore.

I guess the part that doesn't make me cry but hits pretty hard is when Molly Ringwald says, "I don't want you to see where I live." If I get a ride home from someone I don't know well, I totally have them drop me off at the two-story white house with pillars the next block over. My house is shack sized with broken windows and peeling paint and puddles in the driveway and cats and dandelions and shrubs the size of trees and dog poop in the front yard.

I'd rather live in Anna's trailer court than here. She says it's embarrassing to live in a trailer court, but at least her house is clean and her front yard is nice and her clothes don't stink like cat pee.

So, I love Pretty in Pink but I think it would be even more fun to watch with a boyfriend. When I have a boyfriend, my favorite movies to watch with him will be "Pretty in Pink," "Some Kind of Wonderful," and "Dirty Dancing." I LOVE those movies!

No way! "My Grandma and Your Grandma" is playing now. I'm totally gonna cry! Mac and me always sang this song and the ski lift even though I'd actually never heard it and I made up stupid words. I MISS IT ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH. He's probably up there skiing right now!

Holy CRAP! Now it's the Bangles' "Eternal Flame." SO pretty. I sang Mac to sleep with this song on the ski bus. I'm gonna die. I'm so romantically depressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment