Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



pictionary, taboo, and another wild and crazy saturday night ...April 1989


Rob is over. And M. hates me for some reason only she understands. But, I'm still alive so I guess I'm ok. Besides, Rob wasn't in my age range and I go to Anna's soon for summer vacation. My brother will be home soon (from college) so that's good.

And I tried to pray last night. My mind kept wandering to homework and other school stuff and I kept apologizing because it must be like having a conversation with someone who just trails off all the time. Which my dad does a lot, so I know how irritating it is. I don't mean to be irreverent, but I really wonder what God does when my prayers sort of wander off. Does He take a break from listening to me, or does He know it's going to happen so He plans to do something else during that time? Or, is time different to Him, so He just fast forwards? Does He send an angel of some kind to come listen for a while until I focus again?

I hung out with Ben and Charles at their house tonight. We played Pictionary (I can guess, but not draw, so it's kind of pathetic) and then Phoebe came over and we played Taboo. It was really easy to figure out the words, even though we couldn't say any related words, because we've known each other so long. Like one word was "dentist" and we couldn't say tooth or drill or anything, but it didn't matter because Phoebe's dad is a dentist, so Charles yells, "Phoebe's dad!" and we guessed it right away.

Then, Phoebe had to go home cuz she has this wicked early curfew, so we all walked her home and chatted in the front yard and the sky didn't have any stars so it wasn't that romantic and I could tell Phoebe was walking close to Ben on purpose, which made me glad for the 400 millionth time that I'm over him. Then we walked back and had to go down this street called Ruddell Loop. It is really dark and super creepy with no lights and so Charles and Ben kept scaring me.

When we got back to Greenlawn Street, Ben and Charles made tapioca pudding, which I've never had before and I'll never be able to eat, because they pretended to sneeze it into their hands and acted like they puked it onto the counter. It was so NASTY, but funny. I'm one of the guys, and that's cool.


1 comment:

  1. I totally remember this. My curfew was "wicked early," huh? Good times!

    ReplyDelete