Why blog the 80s?

Due to not-so-popular yet compelling demand, I'm blogging my high school diary entries from the late eighties and early nineties.

You are more likely to enjoy this blog if:
- You were born between 1970 and 1976.
- You thought George Michael would fall in love with you if he only got to know you.
- Your Aquanet consumption easily exceeded one fushia aerosol can per month.
- You penned at least one angsty poem per week about your latest crush.
- You assiduously nursed all legitimate bouts of melancholia into sustained periods of truly impressive despair. When you consulted your journals weeks after writing about each episode, you moved yourself to tears.



You waited 12 months for THIS tripe?!?!

For my four fans...

You know the last post of 2009? The one where I threatened to include the poem about RUSS and Tina, and the ulti-love-hypotnuse?

The poem is called (dramatic pause + dramatic sigh inserted here)... N-E-V-E-R (because it never should have happened).

In the immortal words of Barney/Neil Patrick Harris: "Wait for it..."

Never, Part I

Please note the very literary consideration, weighing "wave of emotions" against "my whole body of emotions." A critical distinction. How is a girl to decide?

We left this masterpiece at a crucial moment. Let us continue.

Never, Part II


I love the hope amidst the heartbreak! That what destroys you can make you a better person and a better friend. It is all so tragically purposeful!

We paused at the poem's denouement: "It hurts too much to know that I never had you... BUT" (Note the intermittent repetition! And the surprise: no use of the word, "BUT" here. Such command of the form!)

Never, Part III


Can you just feel the catharsis? The moment of clarity? Joy's triumphant return?

Never, Part IV

I know it is difficult to restrain yourself at this point, but please, NO CLAPPING.

We don't clap for poets. We nod. Nod slowly. Nod for each tear shed. Nod for each upward lift of your heart, beating beating.

Yes, you feel it.








4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! Such depth! Such passion! Such .... I don't know but I have tears. You can interpret them how you wish, but I also have stitch in my side. We are not clapping, or nodding, but in tribute to one of our favorite movies (So I Married an Axe Murderer) we are snapping. Thanks for sharing. It's been way too long, but worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -sigh of contentment for the return of my favorite blog-
    and such a return! awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I feel it and I am oh so slowing nodding! You have captured my entire high school experience -- I have a new favorite poet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for coaching me through the slow nod. Love it andrea, great fun!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete